Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Generations

Last night was a "Sleepless in Swaziland" night. I gave a lot of thought about what I shared in our first night devotional based on three Old Testament verses where God promises to bless those who honor Him to a thousand generations. That night, I had asked how many people there were first generation believers - those that had made a decision to follow Christ even though their parents were not believers. Of the 43 people in the room, only 4 had stood up. It proves what a powerful influence Christian parents have on their children.

In a country like Swaziland, there is very little generational Christian influence. That tells me that we need to focus efforts on the youth of this country to help turn the tide, especially in the area of morality. It is estimated that up to 42% of the population is HIV positive. In order to change a nation, you have to raise up a generation of believers. They will then have a tremendous influence on future generations. There is no magic overnight solution. All the AIDs education in the world will not heal this country. They all know that, with men taking multiple partners, there is the risk of AIDs. For the most part, the current adult generation just has no moral framework with which to work in. We have to be in this for the long haul, and as "instant" Americans, we're not used to the solution being a generation away.

This morning, Sue, one of our team members, handed me a Scripture that she felt the Lord had giver her. Psalms 71:17-18: "O God, You have taught me from my youth, And I still declare Your wondrous deeds. And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to all who are to come." Don't you love it when you get a confirming word?

It was a warm, dusty day at the Mercy Centers today. We split into three teams to do a little work, and a lot of interaction with the kids. Lots of laughter, and lots of tears. Painting a swing set to bowling with sand-filled plastic bottles as the pins. And of course, cherishing our time with the kids. Here are a few pictures of the day at our location.















OK, now off to a good night's rest - I hope. Of course, I have to remind myself that we didn't come here for rest and relaxation.

No comments: