Monday, August 23, 2010

Back Home Again

After 36 hours in transit, Dee and I got home yesterday.  There is always a time of processing after a trip like this.  I find myself missing the team already.  I look at everything we have and wonder if it is too much?  I think about Sophie and Zehtu, wondering how they are doing.

I have to be careful.  I cautioned our team about overreacting to our culture of "stuff."  We talked about the differences between "wants" and "needs."  For most of us in the US, we have what we need, and much of what we want.  In Swaziland, many are struggling with just meeting basic needs.  Food, clothing, shelter, medical attention and education are available for most of us here, but not there.

We need to do more.  I think most of our Swazi team would agree with that.  In fact, if the Mission Trip doesn't motivate us to do more to help those in need, then the trip will have been pointless.

I guess you can tell how my processing is going!  I know I'm not alone in arriving back home tired and thoughtful.  I find myself wishing that the team could all be together again to discuss our thoughts and feelings together.  It's amazing how much you can bond with people in 10 days, especially when those days are full of activities.  What a great group of people!  They made the trip even more special.

I'll keep processing.  It's not a 24 hour thing.  In the meantime, I thought I'd finish up this Swaziland blog with a few random photos.  Everything from popping jiffy pop to painting a wall inside the Mercy Center.  Of course, no Africa trip would be complete without seeing a lion!








PS.  Swazi team members - you have an open invitation to dinner at our place anytime!! Drop by soon!

2 comments:

Mitch & Charlotte Hildebrant said...

Love it Mark-o.. LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

Still processing from the DR trip with MOM this year. I don't think I will ever be the same. Thanks for sharing your experience with us who couldn't go.
Janelle